The View From the Floorboards

 Reporter: Lyn Tolbert (Gen 11)

Location: Under the Bed, West Wing

Time: 2:50 AM

I am currently pressed against the cold floor. My heart is a drum, and my only view of the world is a four-inch gap between the bedframe and the rug. I can see Alicia’s silk slippers—perfect, pristine, and deadly.

Alicia: You’ve been painting again, Celeste. I can smell the turpentine. I thought we agreed that your 'hobbies' were to be kept within the allotted hours. A member of this house should have more discipline.

Celeste: (Her voice is steady, but I can hear the defiance underneath) The 'hours' were yours, Alicia. The creativity is mine. And the window was open because the air in this wing is starting to taste like a tomb. Maybe if you spent less time drafting 'Charters' for babies who can't read, you’d notice the drafts in your own house.

Alicia: (A slow, chilling laugh) "The 'babies' are the future. Nadine and Leslie will be the faces of the McLean-Capp legacy. You? You are the footnote. The variable I’ve successfully managed. I’ve kept you comfortable, Celeste. I’ve kept the 48 households from seeing your... 'unusual' tendencies. Don't make me reconsider the lock on the outside of this door.

While they sparred, my hand brushed against a floorboard that didn't feel like the others. It was slightly raised. I shifted an inch—praying the springs didn't squeak—and pried it up.

The Dead Drop Discovery

Inside a shallow hollow in the wood, I found a leather-bound folder. It’s not an Imperial record. It’s a "Counter-Archive."

  • The Greyson Files: Detailed notes on Theodore Vance. Celeste has been tracking his birth and the Hudson branch’s movement.

  • The "Hates Children" Proof: A medical record for Alicia from years ago. Beckett wasn't just gossiping; it’s a documented psychological trait.

  • The Missing Link: A letter from the Henderson founders—a real one, not the spectral echoes I heard—mentioning a "Twelve-Generation Key."

Alicia: I’m leaving the tea service on the table. Eat. Tomorrow, we begin the new curriculum. I want you to review the Greyson Branch’s recent expansion. We need to find a weakness in the Hudson succession line before Theodore is old enough to walk.

Celeste: Succession isn't a battle, Alicia. It’s a transition.

Alicia: In this family, it’s a conquest. Sleep well, Celeste.

The silk slippers turned and clicked toward the door. The heavy lock turned with a finality that made my blood run cold. Silence returned to the West Wing, broken only by Celeste’s heavy sigh as she sat back down on the edge of the bed—directly above my head.


The Historian’s Tactical Sidebar (Post-Escape):

  • The "Footnote" Insult: Alicia literally calls her niece a footnote. That’s how she views anyone who doesn't fit her spreadsheet.

  • The Hudson Plot: Alicia isn't just watching Theodore Vance; she’s actively looking for a way to invalidate his claim to the 12th generation. She’s playing for keeps.

  • The Dead Drop: I have the folder. Celeste let me take it. She tapped on the floor twice before she let me out, a signal that the "Pact" is officially in motion.


~Lyn T~